Stewed Lamb with Chickpeas and Spinach
- 1 lb of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp canola or all-purpose vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lb of fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and torn in small pieces
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, pre-cooked
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large skill or dutch oven, heat oil and cook the chopped onion over medium-high heat until translucent. Add lamb and next five spices, mixing ingredients thoroughly. Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt and cook over high heat, stirring the lamb until all the yogurt is absorbed, about 3-5 minutes. Repeat with a second tbsp of yogurt and repeat as necessary.
- When the yogurt is used up, stir in the ginger and garlic, add just enough water to cover the meat and bring to boil. Cover the casserole, lower the heat and simmer for one hour.
- When the meat is cooked, increase the heat to medium and add the spinach in batches, stirring each batch until it is wilted. When all the spinach is incorporated, cook the stew, uncovered, over high heat to evaporate any excess liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the salt just before serving.