- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus some extra if needed for sautéing
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 quart chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup polenta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 large red tomato
- 1 large yellow tomato
- 1 large green tomato (or you may use 3 of all same type of tomato)
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella fior di latte, * sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced or chopped basil leaves
- * Fior di latte is the mozzarella made from cow's milk, not that made from buffalo's milk. It has more fat and less water than "Bufala" mozzarella. This makes it a better melting cheese.
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook until they begin to turn translucent, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, making sure the garlic does not burn.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan and pour in the polenta.
- Turn heat to high, whisk polenta slowly, while bringing to a boil.
- Once the mixture is creamy, remove from heat and add the butter, salt, and pepper.
- Once they are incorporated, add the Parmesan and parsley and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the polenta into 12 inch tart pan.
- In the refrigerator to cool at least 30 minutes.
- Select the broil function on your Oster Digital Convection Toaster Oven and set oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Remove polenta from refrigerator and layer with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place tart in oven and set time for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil.