Artichoke Salad of Summer Tomatoes and Spring Beans
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 gallon of water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, plus some for rubbing artichokes
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 to 6 large artichokes
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- 3 large shallots, finely diced
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch basil, cut into chiffonade
- 1/2 pound wax (yellow) beans, cleaned and blanched
- 1/2 pound Romano beans, cleaned and blanched
- 1/2 pound haricots verts, cleaned and blanched
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes of mixed types, halved
- salt and pepper
- baby greens (for garnish)
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil.
- Make a blanc by stirring in flour, lemon juice and salt until dissolved.
- Trim artichokes down to bottoms by cutting off stems and snapping off leaves. Remove chokes.
- Rub cut areas of artichoke bottoms with lemon juice.
- Add artichokes to blanc and cook until tender.
- Slice beefsteak tomatoes into eight or twelve 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Cut scraps into julienne and reserve.
- Marinate tomato slices in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar, shallots, and half of the basil chiffonade. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Blanch the remaining basil and puree in an Oster® blender with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Reserve cold.
- Make a mustard vinaigrette by blending mustard with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Split wax beans lengthwise. Cut Romano beans on the bias into long strips. Toss these beans and haricots verts with cherry tomatoes, reserved tomato julienne, pureed basil and Dijon vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 slices of beefsteak tomato on each plate.
- Place a few leaves of baby greens around and an artichoke bottom on top.
- Place spring bean salad on top of artichoke.