Deep Fried Stuffed Shrimp
- 24 jumbo shrimp
- 6 water chestnuts
- Thin julienne Prosciutto or Westphalian ham
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 cups flour
- 7 cups oil
- Shell and devein 10 jumbo shrimp and chop into a pulp. Set aside.
- Finely chop and smash the 6 water chestnuts. Set aside.
- Shell and devein the 14 jumbo shrimps leaving the tails intact,
- Split the 14 shrimp lengthwise along the deveined edge but far enough to separate.
- Spread them flat and lay along each crevice a thin julienne of Prosciutto or Westphalian ham.
- Spread the shrimp and chestnut mixture into the crevices above the ham and mold it into the form of a wide beveled edge when you partially re-close the shrimp for breading.
- Dip the shrimp into the beaten egg, then into flour.
- Allow to dry on a rack 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour 7 cups of oil into deep fryer.
- Preheat the deep fryer to 266°F.
- Lift the shrimp by the tails and slide them gently into the heated oil.
- Fry for approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve at once.