Flash-Fried Squid with Red Pepper-Almond Aioli and Horseradish Gremolata
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon finely minced lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh horseradish, peeled and grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds squid, cleaned and cut into rings (including tentacles)
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- peanut oil (for deep frying)
- lemon wedges (for garnish)
- Combine all ingredients.
- Puree all ingredients except oil and almonds in an Oster® food processor.
- While motor is running, gradually add oil.
- Add almonds last, pulsing briefly to retain some texture.
- Mix together flour, paprika, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Heat 3 to 4 inches of oil to 350° in an Oster® deep fryer.
- Shake off any excess liquid that may have collected around squid. Dredge squid in flour mixture.
- Fry quickly in batches until golden (1 or 2 minutes). Do not overcrowd or overcook. Drain on paper towels. Salt lightly if desired.
- Serve squid hot with red pepper-almond aioli and lemon wedges.
- Sprinkle horseradish gremolata lightly over and around squid.