Steamed Mussels with Shallot Wine Sauce
- 2 lbs mussels, shells scrubbed well (discard mussels with open shells)
- 3 large shallots, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp each fresh oregano, thyme, and rosemary, stemmed and chopped well
- 2 cups fish stock
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, cleaned and chopped for garnish
- Thick, crusty bread
- Place all ingredients, except mussels, in a large stock pot and bring to a gentle boil. Add mussels, cover, and reduce heat to a low-medium so that the broth stays at a gentle simmer. Simmer for about 3 minutes, until all shells are open.
- Remove pot from heat and scoop all mussels into a serving bowl. Carefully pour over broth, paying attention not to let any sand at the bottom of the stock pot go into the bowl.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with slightly warmed crusty bread to soak up the broth.
- You can start cooking this gourmet appetizer after your guests arrive. Simmer mussels in a sauce of white wine, shallots and a blend of fresh herbs including oregano, thyme and rosemary and serve warm.