Bread Salad with Fresh Mozzarella
- 5 large ripe tomatoes, dices
- 6 to 8 fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large loaf stale, crusty French or Italian bread
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, fresh mozzarella scallions, lemon zest, garlic, basil and parsley. Add the olive oil and vinegar; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Pour on enough water to completely moisten the bread. Let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze out excess water. Finely chop bread and toss into salad; adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.