Chilled Corn Soup by Michelle Bernstein
- 12 ears of corn on the cob; shucked, reserve kernels and cobs
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 fennel bulb, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 gallons vegetable broth
- 1/2 quart heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large saucepan on medium heat; place the corncobs, heavy cream, vegetable broth. Simmer for 30 minutes, strain.
- 1 cup corn kernels, cooked in boiling salted water and cooled 1 whole 1/5-2 lb. lobster, steamed and cooled
- Remove all the meat from the lobster, chop and combine with the corn kernels to garnish the soup!
- Cut all the vegetables.
- In a large heavy bottom saucepot, heat olive oil on medium-low heat. Add the onions, fennel, corn, celery and garlic.
- Stirring frequently allow vegetables to become soft and the onions to become translucent.
- Pour the cream-vegetable broth into the saucepot. Allow soup to come to a boil over high heat and reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and, in small batches, place some of the soup into an Oster® Blender and puree (being very careful as the soup is hot!) until all the vegetables are completely pureed into the soup. Strain each batch with a fine strainer and discard whatever is left in the strainer.
- Place the soup in a metal container over another container or a sink filled with ice and water. Allow to cool completely. Season when cold with salt and pepper.