Tuscan Mussel Soup with White Beans (Guazzetto di Cozze e Cannellini)
- 4 1-inch cubes peasant bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 48 mussels, washed
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans boiled (reserve 1/2 cup of liquid)
- 4 tomatoes, blanched, seeded and diced
- 4 teaspoons chopped Italian parsley
- salt and white pepper
- Toast bread cubes lightly in an Oster® Toaster Oven until golden brown.
- Rub toasted croutons with garlic clove.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, gently saute minced garlic and bay leaves in oil and butter; do not brown.
- Add mussels, white wine and red pepper flakes.
- Cover, and steam open mussels.
- Off heat, remove mussels from pan and extract them from their shells. Set aside.
- Add the reserved cannellini bean liquid to pan.
- Add beans, diced tomato and chopped parsley.
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Heat soup bowls.
- Place one crouton in each.
- Add cleaned mussels to soup, ladle over croutons and serve immediately.