Zuppa di Tuscany
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 fennel stalk, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 carrots, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small Italian eggplants sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (15 oz.) cannellini, navy or great northern beans
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped escarole
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- Garlic toast and fennel tops for garnish
- One roasted pepper cut into strips
- Open broth, tomato and bean cans with Oster® Can Opener.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the oil, onion, fennel, carrots, eggplants and garlic and saute for five minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the parsley and escarole. Simmer for 5 more minutes and pepper to taste.
- Pour soup into bowls and garnish with 1 piece garlic toast, fennel top, shaved Parmesan cheese and a twist of red pepper.