Cherry Soup with Fromage Blanc
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise, crushed
- 5 cloves
- 3 allspice berries, crushed
- 2-1/2 cups sweet red or white cherries, pitted
- 3 cups Pinot Noir or red Burgundy wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fromage blanc (for garnish)
- mint leaves, julienned (for garnish)
- cheese cloth
- In a small piece of cheesecloth, bundle cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves.
- Set aside half of the cherries. Place the remaining cherries in a large saucepan with cheesecloth bundle and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, steep for 5 minutes, and discard cheesecloth bundle.
- Puree cooked cherry soup in an Oster® Blender and strain back into sauce pan through another cheesecloth.
- Add reserved cherries to saucepan with soup. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- To Serve: Transfer soup to bowl and garnish with fromage blanc and mint julienne. (Fresh ricotta may be substituted for fromage blanc if desired. Mix 4 tablespoons of ricotta with 2 tablespoons of lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of sugar).