Corn Créme Brulee with Blueberry Polenta Cake
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 ear fresh sweet corn
- 10 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 1 tables
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2/3 cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- Place cream and corn cob in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and place over medium heat. Scald cream; do not boil.
In a stainless-steel bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Blend yolk/sugar mixture into cream. Strain mixture and cob. Place bowl in an ice bath to cool. Fold in blueberries. (This recipe makes extra creme brulee base.) Preheat oven to 300°. Cut four circles of polenta cake to fit into 2-inch-wide ramekins. Place cake in bottom of each ramekin. Sprinkle reserved corn kernels onto cake. Fill remainder of ramekin with creme brulee base. Bake in a water bath for 20 to 30 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool, but serve at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a 9-inch square cake pan and spray with cooking spray. Combine flour, cornmeal and baking powder and set aside. Cream butter and sugar with an Oster® hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla to taste to the butter and sugar mixture in three stages, scraping bowl after each addition. Add dry ingredients until well incorporated. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cake springs to the touch or a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar and place under broiler until caramelized. (This will not take long so watch carefully).