New England Blueberry Cake and Stone-Ground White Cornmeal Cookies with Summer Berries and Farm Cream
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus some for pan
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- pint New England blueberries (reserve 1/4 pint for garnish)
- lemon syrup (recipe follows)
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 10X (superfine) sugar
- 3/4 cup white corn meal
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat Oster® toaster oven to 325°. Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt three times.
Measure out 1/4 cup and reserve. In another bowl, mix together eggs and sugar very well with an Oster® Hand Mixer. In another bowl, whip heavy cream to soft peaks. Fold cream into egg mixture by stages, alternating with dry ingredients. Add the reserved 1/4 cup of dry mix to blueberries and gently fold in; do not overmix.
Prepare a tin with twelve 2-inch muffin cups by lining with buttered parchment paper disks and sugar.
Spoon batter into cups and bake in an Oster® Toaster Oven for 12 to 15 minutes. When cool, brush cakes with lemon syrup.
- Combine sugar and water in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Add lemon zest. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place a cake on each plate. Spoon farm cream beside cake. Stick a cookie in the cream at an angle. Garnish with reserved blueberries.
- In a saucepan, scald heavy cream and vanilla. Pour over white chocolate. Strain and cool. Using a hand whisk, whip heavy cream mixture over ice until stiff.
- Preheat Oster® toaster oven to 350°. Mix together flour, sugar and cornmeal. In another bowl, beat butter to soft peaks. Add honey to butter and continue to beat until small lumps form. Add dry ingredients and beat with Oster® Hand Mixer until mixture is smooth. Drop by tablespoons onto a cookie sheet coated with nonstick spray. Bake until golden. Yield is about a dozen cookies.