Warm Bittersweet Chocolate Truffle Cake with Burnt-Sugar Cream
- 1 cup sugar, generously measured
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 11 ounces Valrhona Equatorial Chocolate
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 4-2/3 ounces almond flour (by weight)
- 1-2/3 ounces all-purpose flour (by weight)
- 7 tablespoons superfine powdered sugar
- 18 ounces Valrhona Equatorial Choco
- 2-1/4 cups heavy cream
- Place sugar in saucepan, add water, and heat slowly while stirring with a wooden spoon. Be careful not to splash any sugar onto sides of pan. When liquid starts to form large bubbles, stop stirring. Continue cooking until sugar reaches a rich amber color. Remove from heat and carefully add 3/4 cup of the cream. Once cream has been absorbed, place caramel mixture in a storage container and cool. Whip the remaining cream. When it begins to thicken, add caramel mixture and continue whipping until stiff.
- Chop chocolate and butter into small and equal-sized pieces. Place in a double boiler to melt. Meanwhile, sift all-purpose flour and almond flour. Once chocolate/butter mixture has completely melted, remove from heat. Whip egg yolks with half of the sugar until ribbon stage is reached. Add to chocolate mixture. Using Oster® Hand Mixer, begin to whip egg whites with the remaining sugar. Meanwhile, add dry ingredients to mixture and mix well. When whites reach soft-peak stage, fold them into mixture until well incorporated.
- Heat cream to a boil. Meanwhile, chop chocolate into small and equal pieces. Pour hot cream over chocolate and mix until chocolate melts thoroughly. Place this ganache in a bowl over an ice bath until firm enough to roll. Roll into logs approximately 3/4 inch in diameter and store in freezer until needed. Brush four molds (2 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches deep) with butter and line with parchment paper that reaches 3/4 inch above rim. Pipe a small amount of cake mixture into the bottom. Place ganache plug in the center and cover with more cake mixture. Store in freezer until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place cake molds on nonstick sheet pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes. Unmold onto a plate and top with a spoonful of burnt-sugar cream.