Oven-Fresh Red Snapper with Artichokes and Fresh Oregano (Dentice con Carciofi all'Origano Fresco)
- 1 2-1/2 pound red snapper, preferably New Zealand
- 1-1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 sprigs fresh oregano (4 for garnish)
- 16 small artichokes, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 cups fish stock (made from snapper bones)
- 4 whole tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 4 teaspoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- salt and black pepper
- Fillet red snapper. Discard head and tail. Boil bones in water with a pinch of salt for 30 minutes to obtain a light fish broth.
- Clean artichokes and slice very thin.
- Heat olive oil in an Oster® Electric Skillet at medium temperature.
- Add garlic, and saute until lightly golden but not brown.
- Add artichokes with eight of the whole oregano sprigs and sauté until tender.
- Add white wine and fish stock.
- Season red snapper fillets with salt and place in the pan with artichokes and broth.
- Oven-poach in a 375-degree oven until fish is just cooked through (approximately 5 minutes). Remove fillets and keep warm.
- Remove oregano sprigs from sauce and discard.
- Finish sauce by reducing cooking liquid by 75 percent, adding diced tomatoes, parsley, chopped oregano and cold butter, and adjusting salt and pepper to taste.
- Place artichoke sauce at the bottom of each plate.
- Top with red snapper fillet, and garnish with a whole fresh oregano sprig.