Recipes By Cuisine - Nouveau Cuisine
Bibb and Watercress Salad with Hot Mustard, Toasted Walnut Bread and Blue Goat Cheese
- Serves 4 to 6
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 head endive
- 6 ounces domestic blue goat cheese
- walnut bread, cut into 12 large dice and toasted lightly
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash and spin dry the Bibb and watercress. Set aside in a cool place.
- To make croutons, arrange walnut slices on a cookie sheet. Cut endive in half lengthwise, then into thin strips. Arrange endive on walnut bread. Crumble blue cheese over endive. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sour cream, mustards, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper with the Oster® hand mixer.
- Add lemon juice and olive oil while steadily whisking.
- Thin with a little water if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble salad, place desired amount of dressing in a large bowl. Add Bibb lettuce, watercress and red onion, and toss until lightly coated.
- Heat walnut bread croutons in an Oster® toaster oven at 350-degree oven until cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven.
- Arrange two or three croutons on each plate. Place salad carefully in the center.
Apricots and Ginger Baked in Puff Pastry with Almonds
- Serves 6
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon finely julienned ginger
- 12 apricots, cut into sixths
- 4 egg whites
- 4 ounces 10X sugar (superfine powdered sugar)
- 6 5-inch puff pastry rounds, unbaked
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup crystal sugar
- 10X sugar in a shaker
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Add vanilla bean, ginger and apricots and let cool to room temperature.
- Remove vanilla bean.
- Distribute mixture into individual 8-ounce ramekins.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a stainless-steel bowl, add 10X sugar into egg whites and whip with an Oster® hand mixer to form an icing.
- Wrap tops of ramekins with puff pastry.
- Drizzle on icing, then sprinkle almonds and crystal sugar.
- Bake until pastry forms dome.
Corn Créme Brulee with Blueberry Polenta Cake
- Serves 4