Recipes By Cuisine - Vegetarian
Puréed Vegetable Fritters
- Serves 3
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cooked mashed carrots
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp flour
- 6 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 7 cups oil
- Beat the egg until light.
- Add and beat well the cup of cooked mashed carrots.
- Stir in the salt, flour, buttermilk, Worcestershire sauce and the parsley.
- Spread these ingredients on a greased platter.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- When they are cold, shape them into 1 inch balls.
- Pour 7 cups of oil into deep fryer.
- Preheat deep fryer to 375°F.
- Flour and roll in Bound Breading.
- Fry the balls in oil for 4 minutes.
- Like potato puffs, this vegetarian appetizer or light snack can be prepared easily and cooked in minutes in an Oster® Deep Fryer. Worcestershire sauce, parsley, carrots, egg and buttermilk create a rich flavor your guests will love.
Artichoke Salad of Summer Tomatoes and Spring Beans
- Serves 4 to 6
- 1 gallon of water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, plus some for rubbing artichokes
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 to 6 large artichokes
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- 3 large shallots, finely diced
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch basil, cut into chiffonade
- 1/2 pound wax (yellow) beans, cleaned and blanched
- 1/2 pound Romano beans, cleaned and blanched
- 1/2 pound haricots verts, cleaned and blanched
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes of mixed types, halved
- salt and pepper
- baby greens (for garnish)
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil.
- Make a blanc by stirring in flour, lemon juice and salt until dissolved.
- Trim artichokes down to bottoms by cutting off stems and snapping off leaves. Remove chokes.
- Rub cut areas of artichoke bottoms with lemon juice.
- Add artichokes to blanc and cook until tender.
- Slice beefsteak tomatoes into eight or twelve 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Cut scraps into julienne and reserve.
- Marinate tomato slices in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar, shallots, and half of the basil chiffonade. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Blanch the remaining basil and puree in an Oster® blender with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Reserve cold.
- Make a mustard vinaigrette by blending mustard with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Split wax beans lengthwise. Cut Romano beans on the bias into long strips. Toss these beans and haricots verts with cherry tomatoes, reserved tomato julienne, pureed basil and Dijon vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 slices of beefsteak tomato on each plate.
- Place a few leaves of baby greens around and an artichoke bottom on top.
- Place spring bean salad on top of artichoke.
Multigrain Waffles with Yogurt & Fresh Fruit
- Serves 4
- 2 apricots
- 2 plums
- 2 strawberries
- 2 pears
- 16 ounces vanilla-flavored yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Multigrain or whole wheat waffle mix, prepared according to package directions
- Remove pits from fruit and slice.
- Saute fruit in batter for 2 to 3 minutes, add honey stirring constantly until honey just begins to boil. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Mix yogurt with orange rind.
- Make waffles in the Oster® Waffle Maker.
- Place waffles on a plate and pour fruit compote over top.
- Serve yogurt on the side.
Wide Ribbon Pasta with Asparagus and Basil (Tagliatelle con Asparagi)
- Serves 4