Recipes By Cuisine - Nouveau Cuisine
Apricots and Ginger Baked in Puff Pastry with Almonds
- Serves 6
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon finely julienned ginger
- 12 apricots, cut into sixths
- 4 egg whites
- 4 ounces 10X sugar (superfine powdered sugar)
- 6 5-inch puff pastry rounds, unbaked
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup crystal sugar
- 10X sugar in a shaker
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Add vanilla bean, ginger and apricots and let cool to room temperature.
- Remove vanilla bean.
- Distribute mixture into individual 8-ounce ramekins.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a stainless-steel bowl, add 10X sugar into egg whites and whip with an Oster® hand mixer to form an icing.
- Wrap tops of ramekins with puff pastry.
- Drizzle on icing, then sprinkle almonds and crystal sugar.
- Bake until pastry forms dome.
Mango, Brie and Avocado Quesadillas
- 1 lb brie
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 roasted Poblano peppers, peeled
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 package whole wheat tortillas
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
- Chop the onion and blanch for 10 minutes; drain the water and set aside.
- Warm the brie to room temperature. Clean and cube the mango and avocado; chop the cilantro.
- On a tortilla, spread the brie and layer the mango, onion, pepper, avocado and cilantro; top with another tortilla and lightly brush each side with safflower oil.
- In a skillet, cook on each side until lightly browned and inside melts. Cut into quarters and serve with mango or a tomato-based salsa.
Corn Créme Brulee with Blueberry Polenta Cake
- Serves 4
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 1 tables
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2/3 cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
Corn Crème Brulee Base
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 ear fresh sweet corn
- 10 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a 9-inch square cake pan and spray with cooking spray. Combine flour, cornmeal and baking powder and set aside. Cream butter and sugar with an Oster® hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla to taste to the butter and sugar mixture in three stages, scraping bowl after each addition. Add dry ingredients until well incorporated. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cake springs to the touch or a knife inserted comes out clean.
Corn Crème Brulee Base
- Place cream and corn cob in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and place over medium heat. Scald cream; do not boil.
In a stainless-steel bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Blend yolk/sugar mixture into cream. Strain mixture and cob. Place bowl in an ice bath to cool. Fold in blueberries. (This recipe makes extra creme brulee base.) Preheat oven to 300°. Cut four circles of polenta cake to fit into 2-inch-wide ramekins. Place cake in bottom of each ramekin. Sprinkle reserved corn kernels onto cake. Fill remainder of ramekin with creme brulee base. Bake in a water bath for 20 to 30 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool, but serve at room temperature.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar and place under broiler until caramelized. (This will not take long so watch carefully).
Bibb and Watercress Salad with Hot Mustard, Toasted Walnut Bread and Blue Goat Cheese
- Serves 4 to 6