How to be Age-Proof in 2016
Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed at the diet habits you should adopt to be healthier? With the New Year just around the corner, we've partnered with registered dietician and author of Age-Proof Your Body, Elizabeth Somer, to provide you with a few simple habits for eating healthy and kicking off the year in the most nutritious way!
Three diet rules that will make eating healthy much easier are: 1) Stock the kitchen with healthy items, like colorful fruits and vegetables, whole grains, yogurt, nuts, and other "real" food. 2) Bring food with you so you're not tempted by the vending machine or drive-thru and so you can eat when you're comfortably hungry and still in control of your eating habits. 3) Have quick-fix equipment in your kitchen, like the Oster® Versa® Performance Blender, which is so versatile, convenient, and easy to use.
Food should look good, taste great, and be good for you. If your life is super busy, it also needs to be quick. Provide your family with a healthful, colorful dinner in no time using this yummy Santa Fe Sweet Potato Soup recipe:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 can chilies, chopped, or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen corn kernels
- 1 /2 cup low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream (optional)
1) Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until transparent. Add sweet potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
2) Place potato mixture in the Oster® Versa® Performance Blender with broth (in small batches) and blend until smooth. Return to saucepan and add chilies and corn. Stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Serve with French bread and slices of cheese.
Makes 8 servings. Nutritional Analysis per serving: 322 Calories; 20 percent fat: (7.3 grams); <1 gram saturated fat; 15 percent protein; 65 percent carbohydrate; 6.4 grams fiber.
If you're looking to meal prep in 2016, feel free to put the Oster® Versa® Performance Blender's versatility to use! You can chop extra celery, grate extra carrots, and make fresh pesto, sauces, dips, or salsa, then store them in the refrigerator to use in salads, soups, or sandwiches later in the week.