How to Make Apple Waffle Turnovers
If you're a big fan of dessert, you might want to try making Apple Waffle Turnovers. Just like the traditional pastry, these small fall treats are delicious and fun as a midday snack or a treat following a holiday feast. However, unlike most desserts, these waffle turnovers are simple to make - easier than pie.
Here's What You'll Need
To get started, gather a few ingredients and supplies.
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1/2 cup chopped, peeled apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 lemon for juice and zest
- Your Oster® Double Flip Waffle Maker.
1. Start by preparing the filling similarly to how you'd make apple pie. Combine the apples, cinnamon, lemon and sugar in a sauce pan or slow cooker on low heat. Cook these until the apples are soft while stirring occasionally. Feel free to add additional flavors as you desire. This filling with be a significant part of your apple turnovers. Once your filling is exactly how you want it, remove from heat and set to the side.
2. Next, cut each puff pastry sheet into square-shaped quarters. One at a time, roll out each quarter with a baking pin to make it thinner and cover more area.
3. Take one of your rolled squares and scoop a spoonful or two of your apple filling into the center. Fold the pastry over the filling to create a triangle that seals the apple inside. Repeat for all eight squares.
4. Place as many of the uncooked turnovers you can on your Oster® Double Flip Waffle Maker. Once on the waffle maker, close the lids as you would with a waffle and cook for about four minutes or until the edges of the pastry are browned to perfection. Repeat as needed until you use all of the ingredients.
"Apple isn't the only type of turnover you can make with your waffle maker."
5. Now you'll be left with a bunch of apple turnovers with golden brown waffled exteriors that are perfect on their own or with a heaping scoop of ice cream. Try making your own at home next time you have a party.
Apple isn't the only type of turnover you can make with your waffle maker. Use this handy appliance to whip up peach, strawberry or berry pastries as well. It's a quick, easy and fun way to make a dessert that's sure to impress your guests. And all you need is a Oster® Double Flip Waffle Maker.