Tear and Share Bread
Glazed with a savoury, buttery layer, this pull-apart bread recipe is a mouth-watering delight that can be enjoyed with any meal. Why not pair with our garlic and parsley flavoured butter recipe?
For this recipe, you will need a round loose bottomed 8” cake pan.
1.10lbs white bread flour
1oz chilled butter
½oz fresh yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 ¼ cups warm water
Egg wash - 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp milk
1. Whisk the yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of the warm water together into a small bowl. Cover and set aside until frothy (approx. 15 mins).
2. Place the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the butter and using your fingertips, rub this into the flour. Stir in the salt.
3. Pour in the frothy yeast liquid, along with the remaining warm water.
4. Using the dough hooks and Speed 1, begin mixing, working the hooks around the bowl to capture all the flour.
5. Continue mixing (kneading) for 5 minutes until smooth.
6. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth or some oiled cling wrap and place into a warm place to rise (approx. 1 hour).
7. Lightly grease your cake pan with a little oil.
8. Place the risen dough onto a floured surface and knead by hand for 1 minute, until smooth.
9. Break off small handfuls of dough approx. weight 2oz and roll into balls. Sit these inside your cake pan around the edge, placing each dough ball next to one another to form a ring. Snuggle the remaining balls into the centre. These should cover the base of the pan. Cover with a piece of oiled cling wrap and set aside until double in size.
10. Heat the oven to 200c 180f Gas 6. Brush the surface of the bread, gently with the egg wash and place into the centre of the hot oven. Cook for 35-40 minutes until golden.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.
12. Prepare the flavoured butter and spread over the surface of the warm bread. Allow this to melt, brush any remaining over the outside of the bread.
13. Delicious served warm with Pesto.