Sweet Potato Bread
Substitute 1 cup sweetened steamed apples for the sweet potatoes for an apple version of this quick bread.
•2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in approximately 2-inch chunks
•1/2 cup sugar
•3/4 cup brown sugar
•1 egg white
•1/3 cup safflower oil
•1/4 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
•1 cup orange juice
•1 3/4 cups flour
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon baking soda
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•2 teaspoons cinnamon
•1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
1. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Place sweet potatoes in steamer and steam for 25 minutes, until they are tender and easily pierced with fork.
4. In bowl, with an electric mixer beat sweet potatoes till creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugars, egg, egg white, safflower oil, yogurt and orange juice and beat for another minute.
5. Add the flour, baking power, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
6. Remove beaters and blend in pecans with spatula.
7.Pour batter in loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until knife comes out clean when inserted.
8. Cool on rack for about 30 minutes and then turn loaf onto rack to finish cooling.