Chocolate Banana Croissant Bread Pudding
•3 whole eggs
•3 egg yolks
•5 tablespoons cocoa
•1 1/2 cups brown sugar
•1 cup heavy cream
•2-1/2 cups milk
•pinch of salt
•1 vanilla bean, split and scraped (seeds reserved)
•1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
•1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
•3 tablespoons sugar
•1/2 cup brandy
•4 to 5 croissants
•3 tablespoons butter, plus more for pan
•splash of lemon juice
•powdered sugar (for garnish)
•1 quart milk
•vanilla bean seeds (reserved from pudding recipe)
•1/3 cup sugar
•16 egg yolks
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Butter bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish.
3. In a bowl, lightly beat together eggs.
4. Add cocoa and sugar. Whisk with an Oster® hand mixer until incorporated.
5. Put cream and milk with egg mixture in a double boiler over medium heat. Heat until warm.
6. Add salt, spices, sugar and brandy.
7. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until liquid thickens.
8.Cut croissants into cubes.
9. Slice bananas and saute with butter over medium heat until soft.
10. Add chocolate mixture and stir well.
11. Pour into baking dish and bake in a water bath for approximately 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
1. In a heavy-bottomed pot, scald milk and seeds from vanilla bean. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar.
3. Slowly add some of the milk and vanilla mixture to temper eggs.
4. Pour eggs back into pan with milk. Stir continuously over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
1. Spoon pudding into dessert bowls.
2. Pour crème anglaise over pudding. (Whipped cream or a favorite chocolate sauce can be substituted if desired).
3. Dust with powdered sugar.