•1/2 cup shortening
•2 cups all purpose flour
•1 1/4 cups milk
•1 teaspoon lemon juice
•1 cup sugar
•2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
•1/4 cup shelled pistachio nuts, finely ground (in processor or by hand) - reserve some whole for garnish
•1 teaspoon baking soda
•1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
•1 pint heavy whipping cream
•16 ounces dark chocolate frosting
1. Beat shortening on high speed of Oster® Hand Mixer.
2. Mix baking soda, salt, cocoa, and flour together.
3. Add lemon juice to milk and stir for 30 seconds.
4. To shortening add 1/2 the flour mixture, 1/2 the milk mixture and all the sugar, vanilla and egg. Beat until well mixed.
5. Add the remaining flour, nuts and milk mixture and beat until blended.
6. Drop 1/2 cup of batter 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake at 350°, on ungreased cookie sheets, for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool.
8. Whip cream (add sugar if desired) with Oster® Hand Mixer and spoon or pipe cream on to flat side of 1 cookie. Then place another cookie (rounded side up) on top of the cream.
9.Heat frosting in microwave until just melted. Immediately pour over prepared whoopie pies.
10.Garnish with reserved pistachio nuts if desired.