Warm Bittersweet Chocolate Truffle Cake with Burnt-Sugar Cream
•11 ounces Valrhona Equatorial Chocolate
•10 tablespoons butter
•6 egg yolks
•6 egg whites
•4-2/3 ounces almond flour (by weight)
•1-2/3 ounces all-purpose flour (by weight)
•7 tablespoons superfine powdered sugar
•18 ounces Valrhona Equatorial Choco
•2-1/4 cups heavy cream
•1 cup sugar, generously measured
•1/2 cup water
•2 cups heavy cream
1. Chop chocolate and butter into small and equal-sized pieces. Place in a double boiler to melt. Meanwhile, sift all-purpose flour and almond flour. Once chocolate/butter mixture has completely melted, remove from heat.
2. Whip egg yolks with half of the sugar until ribbon stage is reached. Add to chocolate mixture.
3. Using Oster® Hand Mixer, begin to whip egg whites with the remaining sugar. Meanwhile, add dry ingredients to mixture and mix well. When whites reach soft-peak stage, fold them into mixture until well incorporated.
1. Heat cream to a boil. Meanwhile, chop chocolate into small and equal pieces. Pour hot cream over chocolate and mix until chocolate melts thoroughly. Place this ganache in a bowl over an ice bath until firm enough to roll.
2. Roll into logs approximately 3/4 inch in diameter and store in freezer until needed. Brush four molds (2 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches deep) with butter and line with parchment paper that reaches 3/4 inch above rim.
3. Pipe a small amount of cake mixture into the bottom. Place ganache plug in the center and cover with more cake mixture.
4. Store in freezer until ready to bake.
Burnt Sugar Cream:
1. Place sugar in saucepan, add water, and heat slowly while stirring with a wooden spoon. Be careful not to splash any sugar onto sides of pan. When liquid starts to form large bubbles, stop stirring. Continue cooking until sugar reaches a rich amber color.
2. Remove from heat and carefully add 3/4 cup of the cream. Once cream has been absorbed, place caramel mixture in a storage container and cool. Whip the remaining cream. When it begins to thicken, add caramel mixture and continue whipping until stiff.
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place cake molds on nonstick sheet pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes.Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.
2. Unmold onto a plate and top with a spoonful of burnt-sugar cream.