•12 baby red potatoes
•1-1/2 quarts chicken stock
•1 large onion, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/3-inch slices (leave root intact to hold slices together)
•1 bay leaf
•3 sprigs thyme
•1 pound andouille sausage, cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
•3 ears fresh corn, ends trimmed, each cut into 4 pieces
•2 medium green bell peppers, roasted, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
•24 large fresh Gulf shrimp, heads on
•1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
•1/3 pound green beans, blanched (optional)
•1/3 pound wax beans, blanched (optional)
•salt and pepper
•fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
•2 pounds all-purpose flour
•3 tablespoons salt
•1/2 cup baking powder, plus 1 tablespoon
•1/2 pound lard
•4 cups buttermilk
1. Boil potatoes until tender. Keep warm.
2. Bring stock to a boil.
3. Add onion, bay leaf and thyme, and simmer, partially covered, until almost tender (about 7 minutes).
4. Add sausage and cook for 7minutes longer.
5. Add corn and roasted peppers. Cook until just tender (about 10 minutes).
6. Season with salt and pepper (the stew should be full-flavored and rich).
7. Bring to a boil, and add shrimp and tomato.
8. Add green and wax beans if desired.
9. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Do not overcook shrimp.
1. Preheat Oster® toaster oven to 450°.
2. Sift dry ingredients together in large mixing bowl.
3. Work in lard by hand.
4. Add buttermilk. Blend together well.
5. Turn onto floured work area.
6. Roll dough out to 1/2-inch thickness.
7. Using a fork, prick dough all over.
8. Cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter, making sure to cut straight up and down. Do not twist cutter.
9. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and place biscuits 1/2 inch apart on pan.
10. Bake for 11 to 12 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and brush tops of biscuits twice with melted unsalted butter.
1. Place four shrimp, two pieces of corn, three slices of sausage and some of the peppers, onions and beans from the stew in individual bowls.
2. Cut potatoes into halves. Place 4 halves in each bowl.
3. Ladle in 1/2 cup of broth and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
4. Serve with biscuits.