Savory Bread Pudding with Asparagus and Dried Tomatoes
•2 tablespoons olive oil
•1/2 large Vidalia onion, sliced thinly
•1/2 pound (about 2 cups) asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-1/2 inch lengths
•1/3 cup chopped fresh leeks
•1 cup sliced mushrooms
•3 large egg
•1 cup whipping cream
•1 cup milk
•1 teaspoons salt
•1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
•1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese, 4 oz
•1/2 cups goat cheese crumbled, 4 oz
•1/2 cup grated fontina, 3 oz
•1/2 cup dehydrated tomatoes
•1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
•2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
•4 cups day old bread, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces (a hearty bread like oat or multigrain works very well)
1. Set the Oster Counter Forms Digital Convection Toaster Oven to Convection Bake function. Set temperature to 350°F.
2. Grease an 8 inch square pan.
3. Sauté onions in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add asparagus, leeks, and mushrooms, cook until onions just begin to brown. Set aside.
5. Whisk eggs, cream, milk, salt and pepper in medium bowl.
6. Mix cheeses, dried tomatoes and herbs in medium bowl.
7. Place half of bread pieces in baking pan. Sprinkle with half of asparagus mixture, then half of cheese mixture.
8. Pour half of egg mixture over cheese. Repeat with remaining bread, asparagus mixture, cheese mixture, and egg mixture.
9. Let stand 20 minutes, pressing with spatula to submerge bread pieces.
10. Bake the bread pudding until brown and puffed, about 30-40 minutes or until custard is set.
11. Cool for 10 minutes.