When using a vegetable food steamer, what foods go in what basket or how can I cook more than one at a time?
We make food steamers that come with one or two steamer bowls. If you have two steamer bowls, and you are cooking more than one item (rice and vegetables), we recommend placing the food that will take longer in the bottom steamer bowl and the other in the top steamer bowl.
Where can I get replacement parts for my vegetable food steamer?
Parts for Oster® Vegetable Food Steamers can be purchased through service centers. To find a service center in your area, please click the service center link.
Why is the white rice not cooking all the way in my food steamer?
Most of the time, white rice not cooking all the way is caused from the use of slow cooking rice. If you are using slow cooking rice, use 1-cup of rice to 1 1/4 cups of water and cook for 35 minutes.
How do I clean my vegetable food steamer?
To clean the vegetable food steamer, please follow the steps below:
- Unplug cord from outlet. Before cleaning, allow Steamer to cool. Never immerse the Base, Cord or Plug in water.
- Empty the drip tray and the water reservoir. If there is a small amount of water remaining inside the water box, you can just turn the unit upside down and water will come out from the water inlet.
- Wash lid, steaming bowl, rice bowl and drip tray in hot, soapy water. Rinse and dry all parts, or wash on top rack of dishwasher.
- Clean reservoir with soapy water then wipe with damp cloth.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners.
- The lower steaming bowl and the rice bowl can be stored inside the upper steaming bowl with the lid on top.
- In hard water areas, the scale may build up in the heating element. If scale is allowed to accumulate, the steam could turn off before the food is cooked. So, after 7 to 10 uses, pour 3 cups clear vinegar into the water reservoir then fill with water up to the HI level. Do not place lid, steaming bowl, rice bowl and drip tray in this procedure.
- Plug in and set timer to 20 minutes. When the timer rings, unplug cord from outlet. Allow the unit to cool completely before emptying water reservoir. Use cold water to rinse the water reservoir several times.